The Technovate Grant supports innovative solutions to performance-related challenges, and produces new, performance relevant technology products and applications for the training and competition environment. This Grant is partnered with Mitacs and provides opportunities for young researcher-practitioners to work with NSOs in developing new performance-related technology innovations. Priority will be given to technology innovation projects related to computer vision and specifically POSE estimation and/or motion capture.
National Motion Capture & Analysis Technology (MCAT) Research Cluster
Motion capture and analysis technology is a focus for Canadian high performance sport. The MCAT Research Cluster via a Committee approach coordinates and guides research project planning in this area and provides recommendation to Own the Podium regarding potential projects. The intent of the Committee is to collaborate on computer vision projects to optimize transferability of knowledge and technology application between national sports, and to align research interests and funding availability.
Technovate funding is provided to projects that focus on developing new technology or significantly improving existing technology use in high performance sport. It provides protected funding to accelerate Canada’s deployment of technology in HP sport. Although technology can be viewed as a tool, it is critical to developing new products, processes, and practices.
Future technology research clusters with prioritized funding could emerge in other areas as determined by the Research & Innovation Council. Other technology related proposals are possible under the Spark Grant and Technovate Grant but again, technology-related submissions focusing on POSE estimation and motion capture will be prioritized.
Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit research and training organization dedicated to advancing collaborations between industry, academia and government in Canada, and to fostering international research networks between Canadian universities and the world.
Technovate applications will leverage funding from the Mitacs Accelerate program for Masters and PhD student interns and the Elevate program for Post Doctoral Fellows. Applicants should be conscious of program eligibility and expectations to access this funding.
- Masters and PhD student funding follows criteria for the Mitacs Accelerate program:
- Funding starts at $15,000 for a 4-6 month internship project (one internship unit)Funding for longer projects with current Masters and PhD students follows the Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship contribution model
- Current Masters students can complete up to 6 internship units
- Current PhD students can complete up to 12 internship units
- Masters and PhD students must remain registered students for the duration of project
- Post-Doctoral Fellow funding follows the criteria for the Mitacs Elevate program
- Funding of $120,000 over 2 years
- Open to Post Doctoral Fellows within 5 years of graduating from their PhD
- PhD - up to 4 years
- Masters and Post-Doc - up to 2 years
Eligible Research & Innovation Themes:
- Sport Technology & Engineering
- Projects must be driven by the needs of a Canadian National Sports Organization (NSO). The NSO must be an active member of the project team and provide support and interaction opportunities for the student(s).
- Projects must include an academic supervisor at a Canadian university who will support the research and project administration and is eligible to hold tri-council funding.
- Projects must name any Masters, PhD or Post Doctoral students to be paid by the grant. Students must maintain their registration status at the partner university for the duration of the project.
- Projects may include additional partners organizations that expand the capacity and expertise available to execute the project.
- Application Window is closed until further notice for all grants.
- Annual Report due March 15th
- Final Report & Presentation (SPIN Summit)
- Additional reporting will be requested by Mitacs
- Select the appropriate application for which you will apply (Spark, Accelerate, Technovate)
- For Accelerate and Technovate grants, a student(s) has been secured to undertake the research
- Download Project Rationale Form and complete with a description of the proposed research (the Project Rationale Form provides opportunity to collaborate with your research team before application submission)
- Use the “APPLY NOW” button. Fill in the application online and attach your Project Rationale Form
Frequently Asked Questions
Successful applications will be invited to submit an application to Mitacs Accelerate or Mitacs Elevate.
RCCs supports Canadian commercial partnerships as a priority and ones that can transfer its application to one or more sports.